Monday, May 21, 2007

The Basement



I should probably start by apologizing for a couple of things. First, I haven't posted in awhile, which I feel bad about. My busy schedule... ugh, I don't appreciate not having time for music. Second, I won't be posting at all June 5th-July 22nd, since I will be heading to Leon, Spain, to study the Spanish language. Hopefully, though, I'll be able to peruse the indie-scene over there, and bring some tracks back over the pond to the U.S. I'm sure Mikey will be able to hold down the fort, as he's already pretty much been doing. But, anyway, on to the music.

Q Magazine sums up my feelings about this band fairly well: "The Basement sound wise beyond their years, rather than old before their time." After listening to a lot of their debut album Illicit Hugs and Playground Thugs, which debuted in the states on May 8th, I can say that that is what impressed me most: The Basement really sounds like a band that has been performing together for years (which, by the way, is the case, though the band name is relatively new).

This Irish power-folk band that developed its sound in a shoddy flat in Liverpool has all the sound and feeling of a quartet that will definitely be around for awhile. Front-man John Mullin has a great voice, and a feel for lyrics that makes the mundane seem interesting, the everyday mystical. The Basement is:
John Mullin- singer, guitarist and song-writer
Mark McCausland-lead guitar
Graeme Hassall-bass
and
Declan McManus-drums

They have a crafted sound, and their songs are both broad and interesting, with not too much of one style or instrument at any one point. But, let's let the music speak for itself, shall we? "Bringing Out the Dead" is a B-Side instrumental that I'm sure you'll enjoy; "It's A Kinda Love" is definitely my favorite, though "I Just Caught A Face" is probably their most well-known track as of yet. Enjoy!

The Basement-Bringing Out The Dead
The Basement-Do You Think You're Movin' On?
The Basement-It's A Kinda Love
The Basement-I Just Caught A Face

If you like what you hear, buy some of their stuff right here.

No comments: