Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Sea Wolf



Irving bassist Alex Bell Church's folky side project, Sea Wolf, just released their debut EP, Get To The River Before It Runs Too Low, yesterday (Buy). Playing with him on the record are some former band mates, as well as former Elliot Smith drummer Scott McPherson. I was already a big fan of Irving, so I thought I'd give the new band a listen.

While Sea Wolf is perhaps less driving than its progenitor, it has just the right mix of instruments to create great pieces that keep me interested from start to finish. For example, on my particular favorite, "The Garden That You Planted," Church incorporates smooth finger picking, a subtle, melodious lead part, and some amazingly enhancing cello to create an incredibly memorable track that I just never get tired of. The guy has a pretty sweet voice, too.

All in all, this band is one I would recommend to any previous fan of Irving, and also to anyone wanting to get into some great new folk. You won't be let down.

Sea Wolf-You're A Wolf
Sea Wolf-The Garden That You Planted

No comments: