Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Okkervil River and The Fountain



Take 1 part The Killers, 1 part The Arcade Fire, and then throw in The Shins for good measure. What do you get? Okkervil River, the band that I was fortunate enough to discover this week. Now, to be fair, they've been an established indie band for awhile now, I was just trying to describe them with my past experience.

Okkervil River is an incredibly amazing quintet combining the best of folk, blues, alt. country, and bluegrass. I really cannot get enough of them, and it saddens me that I've not discovered them till now. By the way, they record on the awesome Indiana label Jagjaguwar, one of my faves because of their labelmates Sunset Rubdown.

Enjoy the tracks... "Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe" is a newer track that is getting quite popular on the blog scene. They will be releasing an LP on August 7th, their 5th, entitled The Stage Names. I look forward to the release greatly. If you'd like to buy some of this band's top-notch music, click here. Trust me- you need this band.

Okkervil River-Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe
Okkervil River-For Real

On the subject of bodies of water you absolutely have to experience... why don't you go rent The Fountain?




The Fountain is an amazing movie by "guerrilla director" Darren Aronofsky, the man behind Pi and Requiem for a Dream. If you feel like movies nowadays are just stupid little ways for you to not focus on anything for two hours in a dark room, this film will set you straight. Visually, it is a masterpiece, Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz are both amazing actors, and the theme- mortality and love- is consuming.

Of course, this is a music blog. So, naturally, the main reason I brought this up is because of how much I love the soundtrack. Clint Mansell works together with the Kronos Quartet and Mogwai to produce some really great songs, which I wholeheartedly recommend. If you like Mogwai, you'll like the soundtrack. Here, have a listen.

Clint Mansell (feat. Mogwai)-Stay With Me

On a side note, there's a really cool remix competition based on the score going on at www.thefountainremixed.com. If you're into that kind of thing, I suggest heading over there.

As I am leaving for Spain on Tuesday, and I have loads of packing and farewelling to do, this will probably be my last post till August. Mikey'll definitely be able to keep things under control on his own. Anticipate a lot more posting and album reviews from me upon my return. Take care, everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.