Saturday, May 12, 2007

Göra sval musik!



Okay, I'll admit it. The first time I listened to Swedish pop group Salty Pirates, I was a little weirded out. The mixture of strange-to-the-point-of-awkward lyrics and goofy guitar melodies was almost too much for me. And yet... I continued to listen. I realized that this band, for some reason, made me very, very happy. So light, so carefree... so... Swedish. How could I not enjoy it?

Another reason why these guys kick ass is that their music is 100% free. That's right, you heard me. They don't release albums, they post them on their website, which, by the way, you should visit. The idea of free music is something that I just cannot deny, so even if this band didn't absolutely rock, I'd still probably like them.

Even though you can get all of their music at their site, I'll still put up two of my personal favorites. "Fire Deathstar, Fire" opens with a sweet nintendo-like synth riff that leads into a vocal line backed by ridiculously high-pitched background vocal harmonies, and a cool organ part. Can you say "instant classic"? "Black Minds, White Lies" is a cool little guitar ditty that sort of reminds me of a mix between The White Stripes and The Hives. That is, until the vocals come in. Those are totally unique. Plus, if you turn up your speakers at the very beginning, you can hear some Swedish dialogue. Njuta av!

Salty Pirates-Fire Deathstar, Fire
Salty Pirates-Black Minds, White Lies

No comments: